The Green Sheet Online Edition
April 10, 2017 • Issue 17:04:01
Pocket-size computers for fixed and mobile settings
Global technology distributor BlueStar Inc. added Zebra Technologies' TC51 and TC56 touch-screen computers to its extended line of secure identification, mobility, POS, RFID and digital signage solutions. The pocket-sized, touch computers are designed for fast-paced, high-performance environments and mobile workers, the company stated.
"The TC51 is perfect for a retail environment, while the cellular-enabled TC56 is ideal for direct store delivery (DSD) and route accounting," said Jack Sheehan, Senior Business Analyst and Business Development Manager at BlueStar. "Both devices integrate unsurpassed security with Zebra's Mobility DNA delivering enterprise security and manageability."
The devices are built to withstand frequent use and operate in wet, dry, indoor and outdoor settings; their five-inch displays have capacitive touchscreens that respond to a gloved hand or stylus; and the screens are easy to read, in bright or dimly lit environments, the company stated.
The TC51 and TC56 are designed for modern business environments with connected workforces that rely on speed and accuracy. BlueStar representatives described additional standard features of these smart devices, as follows:
- Precision scanning: Zebra's advanced scanning and imaging capabilities enable workers to capture one- and two-dimensional barcodes, regardless of image fidelity. The TC51 and TC56 have expanded working range and a wide field view. Their omnidirectional scanning facilitates high-speed point-and-shoot scanning, eliminating the need to manually align barcode and scanner.
- Automatic document capture: Zebra's SimulScan Document Capture can simultaneously capture barcodes, text fields, phone numbers, images, signatures and check boxes quickly and accurately.
- Ultra-high resolution photos: Built-in 13-megapixel cameras can be used for proof-of-condition, proof-of-delivery and proof-of-service.
- Processing power: The TC51 and TC56 have 1.8 gigahertz hexa-core 64-bit processors that can manage multiple graphics and an array of business apps. The processor is designed for speed and energy efficiency.
- Rugged design: The TC51 and TC56 look like smartphones but are designed for commercial use. Their impact protection helps them withstand dropping, as well as dusty and wet environments. The Corning Gorilla Glass touch panel and imager window protect from scratches and breakage.
- Power management: Long-life, hot-swappable batteries provide power throughout long working shifts. Battery metrics help users track performance and identify, remove and replace aging batteries.
- Mobility extension: Zebra's mobility extension, Mx, pre-installed on TC51 and TC56 devices, adds another layer of security to Android operating systems. The solution detects vulnerabilities and automatically executes corrective actions.
- Multiple configurations: End-users can configure their TC51 and TC56 devices for specific business environments. Standard configurations include Google Mobile Services (GMS) and Android for Work (AFW). Professional configurations can eliminate GMS and AFW to promote privacy and secure personal information.
- Enhanced mobility: Zebra's Mobility DNA is a full suite of mobility apps and administrative utilities designed to enhance mobile solutions, with off-the-shelf end-user apps that simplify customizing and configuring the devices.
- High-quality voice calls: Built-in speakers with noise cancellation deliver high-fidelity sound, enabling callers on both ends of a call to hear accurately, regardless of background noise.
- Wireless connectivity: Whether workers are inside or outside buildings, the Wi-Fi-enabled TC51 supports fast Wi-Fi connections and includes roaming support. The Wi-Fi and 4G LTE cellular-enabled TC56 connects workers remotely and inside merchant facilities.
The company additionally noted that a complete line of optional accessories enables business owners to customize their technology and enhance their work environments. These include trigger handles and holsters that enable the TC51 and TC56 to fit into a variety of workflows.
Its multi-slot ShareCradle chargers can charge batteries and devices simultaneously. ShareCradles come with optional Ethernet cable connections for syncing data with back-end applications. Convenient multislot chargers facilitate high-volume retail and restaurant settings. Vehicle cradles, designed for delivery drivers and field technicians, are also available, BlueStar representatives stated.
Notice to readers: These are archived articles. Contact names or information may be out of date. We regret any inconvenience.