The Green Sheet Online Edition
October 22, 2007 • Issue 07:10:02
Foreign exchange specialist Travelex is making universal currency - literally. Money is getting a makeover for galactic tourists to carry on their trips to out of this world.
Quasi Universal Intergalactic Denomination (QUID) - disc-shaped, and adorned with all eight planets and the sun - is made with materials that are better suited for regions outside of our planet. Earth money's sharp edges can be dangerous to astronauts' environments, and magnetic stripes would get corrupted by cosmic radiation.
Made from plastic, QUID's versatility and durability will be able to withstand high temperatures and eliminate the use of potentially dangerous materials. And it comes with its own tubular Velcro wallet for easy storing in a gravity-free atmosphere.
#h4 Loopy laws
Next time you attend a conference in Las Vegas, be sure not to pawn any dentures. It's against the law in that city, no matter how desperate you may be to pay your gambling tab.
#h4 ISQ-Q test
Which of these statements is true?
1. Interchange comprises the coins found between cushions on sofas and love seats, car and truck seats, and lawn furniture modules, as well as between mattress and box spring sets.
2. On Oct. 3, 2007, two gorilla-masked thugs in Orlando, Fla., robbed and pistol-whipped a man at an ATM early in the day. Local police suspect them of other criminal activity in the area.
3. More than 99% of the retailers who accept Visa Inc. and MasterCard Worldwide bankcards are classified as level 1 merchants by the card Associations.
The boss called one of his employees into the office. "Rob, you've been with the company for a year now," he said. "You started off in the mail room, one week later you were promoted to a sales position, and one month after that you were promoted to District Manager of the sales department. Just four short months later, you were promoted to Vice President. Now, it's time for me to retire, and I want you to take over the company. What do you say to that?"
"Thanks, Dad," the employee said.
#h4 Biz Bytes
- Marketing is strategic; sales is tactical.
- Marketing targets groups; sales targets individuals.
Notice to readers: These are archived articles. Contact names or information may be out of date. We regret any inconvenience.