GS Logo
The Green Sheet, Inc

Please Log in

A Thing
View Archives

View PDF of this issue

Care to Share?


Table of Contents

Lead Story

Redemption in recession

News

Industry Update

Companion bill targets interchange fees

And in this corner: Discover

MasterCard IPO soaring

FTC disconnects alleged phone card scam

Prepaid Expo coming to Caesars

Features

AgenTalkSM:
Neal Tichelkamp

Select-A-Branch grows ATM network

Travis K. Kircher
ATMmarketplace.com

Industry Leader

Jim Baumgartner –
Born to do business

Views

Honoring early mavericks

Patti Murphy
The Takoma Group

Education

Street SmartsSM:
Add value to enhance your value

Jason Felts
Advanced Merchant Services

POS as a second language

Dale S. Laszig
DSL Direct LLC

Portfolio sold: How much goes to Uncle Sam?

Michael Laird
Certified Public Accountant

Marketing mishaps to avoid

Nancy Drexler
SignaPay Ltd.

Little to fear in buyer's market

Lane Gordon
MerchantPortfolios.com

Company Profile

PayProTec

New Products

FACTA the future

Safe2Change
ID Insight Inc.

Protect data with hidden shield

VeriShield Protect
VeriFone

Inspiration

Dump perfectionism, do reality check

Departments

Forum

Resource Guide

Datebook

A Bigger Thing

The Green Sheet Online Edition

June 23, 2008  •  Issue 08:06:02

previous next

New Products

FACTA the future

Product: Safe2Change

According to the fraud detection and prevention experts at ID Insight Inc., identity theft occurs most often when change of address requests are granted by financial institutions (FIs). Armed with enough victim information to fool FIs into allowing counterfeit address changes, fraudsters are then able to receive credit cards, debit cards and bank checks all in the names of unsuspecting victims.

Once fraudsters set up fake identities, they go about destroying victims' credit ratings and causing major headaches for all sectors of the payments industry. To combat this fraud gateway, ID Insight has partnered with credit risk analysis firm Zoot Enterprises Inc. to offer the Safe2Change Address Differential Analysis to avert address-related fraud.

Safe2Change determines the likelihood of fraud in an address change request or address discrepancy. In both new and existing accounts, the algorithmic technology sorts out high-risk addresses from those deemed legitimate by crunching demographic data, verification data, U.S. Postal Service data, historical fraud data, criminality scores and other data elements. It's a mind numbing amount of information to analyze.

"Twenty percent of all new credit worthy applicants have address discrepancies," said Adam Elliot, President of ID Insight. "So if you're a large FI with 20 million applicants, suddenly 4 million accounts are unresolved. They can't issue those cards; they can only verify 40 percent of those applications. And the other 60 percent are going into a very timely and costly manual review process."

But Safe2Change is not just for FIs. According to a spokesperson at ID Insight, the technology is for any company that offers credit or runs credit checks on potential customers. Those businesses include property management enterprises, furniture stores, car dealerships, phone companies, pay-day lenders, and recreational vehicle and boat rental shops.

By Nov. 1, 2008, all such companies - about 2 million in the United States - have to comply with the FACTA (Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act) Identity Theft Red Flag and Address Change rules. These government imposed guidelines are designed to reduce fraud through risk assessments and the implementation of identity theft policies.

Elliot said The Federal Trade Commission has 44 potential red flags, but FIs and businesses need to figure out which ones apply to them, put together comprehensive plans and then implement those strategies.

Under section 114 of FACTA, card issuers are required to develop procedures and policies to assess and verify the validity of an address change followed closely by a request for an additional replacement card. Section 315 requires that creditors first form a reasonable belief of "true identity" when they observe mismatches between applications and what is on record with credit bureaus.

When the Red Flag guidelines become mandatory this November, FIs and businesses can expect the burden of "knowing the customer" to expand when all address mismatches need to be analyzed. ID Insight noted that Safe2Change works with existing infrastructure, needs no new hardware or software, saves labor costs, and increases customer retention.

ID Insight
877-749-8731
www.idinsight.com

Notice to readers: These are archived articles. Contact names or information may be out of date. We regret any inconvenience.

previous next

Spotlight Innovators:

USAePay | Impact Paysystems | Electronic Merchant Systems | Inovio | Board Studios, Inc.