The Green Sheet Online Edition
November 23, 2015 • Issue 15:11:02
Driverless, multitasking, secure scanner
Product: EC9600i series
Company: RDM Corp.
RDM Corp., a Canada-based financial technology company, created the EC9600i series, multifunctional check scanners to improve efficiencies across a spectrum of business environments. Its hardware and software is designed to capture and process single or batched checks and other forms of remittance such as identification, payment and loyalty cards.
"Forget everything you know about check scanners, especially the inconveniences associated with earlier forms of scanning technology," said Leo Tintinalli, RDM Product Manager. "These scanners will change the way you think about remote deposit capture." Tintinalli attributed the scanner's small footprint, premium image quality and competitive price to its growing popularity in a number of industries. Financial institutions, healthcare providers, property management companies and government entities all use the solution, he said.
Works across devices, industries
The EC9600i scanners are built to interface with a range of devices, operating systems and industries. Following is a summary of software capabilities the company listed:
- One-touch setup: EC9600i scanners are designed for workstations, terminals and mobile devices and compatible with all operating systems, including Windows, iOS and Android. Users can view transactions from anywhere on connected devices.
- Operating system, browser-agnostic: Web-based, embedded software can be installed without using a PC. The scanner's IP-addressable application is compatible with all Internet browsers, operating systems and thin client environments.
- Network-capable for multiple users: Multiple users can share an EC9600i scanner by securely connecting it to multiple workstations, PCs, terminals and tablets.
Flexible integration: The scanner software can be integrated with back-office systems to automate accounts receivable, remote deposit capture and other business-critical functions.
- No drivers to load: The scanners operate independently of drivers, simplifying installation and eliminating the need to load new drivers on integrated devices that receive software updates.
Small footprint, big capabilities
The EC9600i scanner facilitates full remittance capture, check franking and endorsing on mobile and desktop environments. According to the company, its compact form factor combines productivity with a small footprint and includes the following standard attributes:
- Optimal connectivity: The scanner has two Ethernet ports and a two-port USB hub to connect peripheral devices.
- Plug-and-play: Scanners are factory-calibrated, simplifying deployment and installation.
- High-speed document imaging: The EC9600i single-feed (SF) series provides single-pass document imaging. The auto-feed (AF) series can batch-process up to 30 documents per minute, fulfilling the needs of most batch scanning applications. Both SF and AF units are equipped with collection pockets that can hold up to 60 documents.
Premium-image quality: Magnetic ink character recognition read rates have better than 99 percent accuracy.
- Check franking: The scanner's built-in franker stamps a message on the face of checks to reduce fraud and mitigate risk.
The company also described several optional features, as follows:
- Thermal printer: A three-inch thermal receipt printer can endorse checks by applying a physical message on the reverse side of checks. The modular, Windows-compatible inkjet printer with clamshell paper supply attaches to the front of the EC9600i. The scanner and printer use the same power supply but operate independently, enabling simultaneous scanning and printing while eliminating the need for additional cables and power supplies.
- Virtual image endorsement: The EC9600i can also do paperless check endorsing by virtually applying messages to the reverse side of check images.
Mag stripe reader: An encryption capable, three-track mag stripe reader can expand data capture capabilities while securely capturing sensitive data.
- Optical character and language recognition: OCR readers provide additional business intelligence by enabling scanners to decipher characters and language. This capability can automate data capture for applications such as walk-in bill payment processing.
In addition, RDM noted that EC9600i users can view networked devices in real time, using the scanner's dashboard and reporting tools, and minimal development is required to integrate the scanner into payment applications.
The Green Sheet Inc. is now a proud affiliate of Bankcard Life, a premier community that provides industry-leading training and resources for payment professionals. Click here for more information.
Notice to readers: These are archived articles. Contact names or information may be out of date. We regret any inconvenience.