The Green Sheet Online Edition
May 29, 2007 • Issue 07:05:02
'Useful and informative'
I will be entering the field of sales. The industry that I have chosen is merchant services. I have found your Web site to be very useful and informative. ... I find particularly helpful the posts in the Opportunities section [of the MLS Forum] for recruiting merchant level salespeople. ... This is a great site for those already in the industry and even better for those just entering.
How green is The Green Sheet?
If The Green Sheet was really truly "green" it would stop mailing out issues and go totally digital. ... How many trees does it take each month to send out your publication? ... How many really read all of it?
My best regards,
Donald W. Taylor
Thank you for the letter. We love to hear from readers. I'd like to address both of your concerns.
First, the ways in which our audience prefers to receive information are diverse. We try to meet everyone's needs by offering both print and online versions of The Green Sheet and GSQ. Also, our Web site, www.greensheet.com, includes a page where readers can set how they would like to receive our publications. If you prefer to read everything online, just let us know.
Second, The Green Sheet has experienced significant growth over the past four years, and I admit that for some people, 128 printed pages might be a lot to get through every two weeks.
I suggest readers skim the table of contents and QSGS (Quick Summary Green Sheet) sections first, and then choose the articles that interest them most. They may want to keep their copies for later reference or pass issues on to friends. Our archive on GS Online includes all articles back to 1995.
And yes, many readers tell us they still read every issue cover to cover.
I am new to the industry. Can you recommend some helpful books? I am specifically looking for information on how the payment process as a whole works, as well as interchange. Thanks in advance.
There are a number of titles to choose from. The following list includes helpful books and reference materials for our industry:
- Good Selling!SM The Basics and Good Selling! Thirteen Weeks to Personal Success, by Paul H. Green, The Green Sheet Inc., 2004
- How to Survive and Thrive in the Merchant Services Industry, by Marc J. Beauchamp and William Graham, Performance Training Systems, 2003
- The Electronic Transactions Association's Encyclopedia of Terminology for the Acquiring Industry
- Paying with Plastic: The Digital Revolution in Buying and Borrowing, 2nd edition, by David S. Evans and Richard Schmalensee, The MIT Press, 2005
- What Every Business Should Know About Accepting Credit Cards, by Anthony L. Ogden, 2004
- Visa U.S.A.'s Rules for Visa Merchants: Card Acceptance and Chargeback Management Guidelines
Notice to readers: These are archived articles. Contact names or information may be out of date. We regret any inconvenience.