The Green Sheet Online Edition
December 08, 2008 • Issue 08:12:01
10 ways to prevent credit card loss
To ensure no fraudsters take a bite out of holiday profits, here is a handy checklist to give to your merchant customers. It contains 10 things to watch for to spot potential fraud at the POS:
- Embossed numbers on the card aren't straight or are badly spaced.
- Touch-up paint has been applied to the front of the card.
- Signature space on the back of the card has been tampered with.
- Letters or numbers on the card appear to be altered.
- Embossed numbers don't match numbers printed on transaction receipt.
- Consumer takes extra effort signing the receipt, which may indicate forgery.
- Customer appears nervous or hurried.
- Shopper arrives at closing time and tries to rush the purchase.
- Merchant asks for photo identification; customer claims to have left it at home.
- Consumer pulls a credit card from a pocket, not a wallet.
Gino Kauzlarich is Chief Executive Officer of MerchantService.com, which provides transaction processing for merchants. The company places a strong emphasis on increasing merchant profitability through lower rates or other tools. The firm also provides ATMs, surveillance equipment to halt theft and other merchant services. For more information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-288-3816.
Notice to readers: These are archived articles. Contact names or information may be out of date. We regret any inconvenience.