The Green Sheet Online Edition
August 22, 2016 • Issue 16:08:02
Free, cloud-based tablet POS
Concord, Calif.-based retailcloud, a POS software company, created Zero POS, a free, cloud-based solution that works on Android devices. The processor-agnostic software platform includes features commonly used to run a store. Its zero price point is meant to build trust and long-term relationships. Participating merchants can opt in to an array of value-added services to meet evolving needs as they grow their businesses. "Our cost of acquisition is low, so we can offer Zero POS," said Kevin Colaco, founder and Innovation Mentor at retailcloud. "We monetize by offering advanced analytics and other optional enhancements; when merchants adopt these premium solutions we share the revenue with our ISO partners."
Zero POS is flexible and scalable, designed to meet a merchant's needs throughout the lifecycle of a business, Colaco stated. Merchants can use their own hardware or choose from a selection of hardware bundles. The company prides itself on providing unprecedented service while building innovative products and enhancements.
Brandable, scalable platform
The Zero POS core offering provides an array of services and continuous updates. ISOs and acquirers can customize the platform to create an extension of their identities and brands. The company noted that the following services are included, free of charge in the Android-based software:
- Unlimited transactions: There are no caps to transaction volumes throughout a shift, day, week or calendar year.
- Unlimited stock keeping units: With no restriction on the number of inventory items, merchants can add items and lines of merchandise as they grow their businesses.
Unlimited POS users: Merchants can create as many POS user profiles as needed, assigning unique user names, passwords and permission levels to participants.
- Unlimited support: Perpetual support is readily available through multiple channels, including live chat, email, and a built-in wiki database.
- Multiple POS options, including tablets: Support for multiple POS devices in a store can free up traffic in checkout lanes. Mobile POS tablets give sales associates the ability to process checkouts from anywhere in a store.
- Multiple stores: The ability to use Zero POS across multiple locations provides an enterprise-level view of operations and performance metrics.
- Multiple payment types: Zero POS supports multiple forms of payment, including cash; checks; credit and debit card products; gift cards; EMV (Europay, Mastercard and Visa); Dwolla; near field communication; and Apple and Google wallets.
- Transaction feature sets: In addition to sales, refunds and exchanges, Zero POS supports email receipts, EMV, stored value, gratuities and signature capture.
Business owners can upgrade to a range of value-added services. Following are popular modules the company listed:
- Employee management: This time and attendance module enables employees to clock in and clock out. Supervisors can use an override feature to correct records, when needed, and an export tool to simplify payroll processing. They can use the management portal to view reports.
- CRM marketing: A loyalty module facilitates customized incentive and reward programs and includes a target marketing tool to generate email notices to select clientele.
- Advanced analytics: An actionable analytics tool provides insights on customer behavior and store trends. The Attribute Analysis Report can be used to track stock levels and inventory flows. Reports include detailed classification analysis, recommendation algorithms, and overstocked and understocked items.
- Personalized email marketing: Customizable email promotions can be scheduled and automated. The module includes data backup, storage and alert management.
- Supply chain management: This module with advanced inventory management capabilities includes predictive reordering and integrated purchase order functionality.
Retailers have noted the value-added, environmentally friendly aspects of Zero POS. "Zero POS has reduced our need for paper and ink, which has lessened our impact on the environment," said Sean Ryan, Vice President of Merchandise at AEG, a global sports and entertainment company. "We're always looking for ways to market to people and expand our footprint outside of a venue. Zero POS helps us create great kernels of data and expand our marketplace."
Notice to readers: These are archived articles. Contact names or information may be out of date. We regret any inconvenience.